Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Back to School Anxieties

Oh, can it be? Yes, finally. The first day of school. I usually do a happy dance on the first day of school but this year was a little different. While I was glad it was time for school, I had some back to school anxiety of my own. The obvious anxiety was for Kristina. I actually went with her to school the first day. But after seeing her make friends and being comforted at the girls that took her under their wing, my anxiety was eased quite a bit. The last two days she has come home happy talking about friends so I am breathing easier each day.

Sidney is doing great. She LOVES school and has a great teacher so I don't worry about her at all. Her only problem is that she doesn't like to get up in the morning. Otherwise, she is a happy camper.

Then there is Spencer. Spencer had problems with bullies last year and one of his best friends went off to junior high this year so he was worried. The good news is that the bullies have not bothered him thus far. One of his friends switched school schedules so he rides the bus with Spencer and as long as he is with Spencer, the bullies back off (I think they are scared of the friend's parents). Parental intimidation can be a great thing. My worries for him are easing up.

And then there is Christian. My oldest son is now a high school student. That statement should explain it all. He says high school is great. He did his math homework tonight without complaint (WOO HOO--that's a big accomplishment). We're off to a great start. But I find myself reliving some of the anxieties I had when I sent Christian off to kindergarten. Will he make friends? Will he be a good student? Will he have good teachers? I think I am as anxious for him as for Kristina.

So there we have it. Back to school anxieties on the part of the mother. And now it's time to show you how cute my children looked on the first day of school. They all laid out their clothes the night before which has become tradition. Well, Christian didn't but if you count the clothes that were on his floor simply because he hasn't cleaned his room in a while then you could say he participated in this ritual as well. And they all posed for their traditional back to school photo. As you can see on Christian's face, he was thrilled about this one. What can I say. he's 15. I have a better photo but I think this one best captures his disdain for the camera. I love these kids!




3 comments:

Ker said...

I love Syd's outfit! They all look great! Kristina looks stoic- and of course Spence looks like his dad there, and Christian what can I say--hes a cute teenager! Hope that the nervousness is easing up.

Kati said...

The girls are so stylin! The boys look really thrilled! Seriously...spencer looks JUST LIKE HIS DAD! I haven't see your kids for so long. I can't believe you have a kid in high school. Just crazy. They grow up fast, don't they? Hope they all had a great first week of school.

Jodi Leishman said...

The kids look adorable.

Isn't it difficult to watch your kids grow up and venture into these new stages of life.

In Sacrament Meeting today I realized that the next time we attend in our ward (we have Regional conference and a trip to Disneyland) Tanner will be a deacon. All of a sudden a flood of emotions hit me. I can't believe he is turning 12.

It's great to keep up with your life. When the PTA President stuff slows down we need to go to lunch. When is your cruise?