Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Latest from Russia....

It’s definitely time for another update.

Kristina and I went to the ballet on Saturday evening. It was amazing. Sleeping Beauty. We started out in the nosebleed section because seats down lower were so expensive but after the second act ended, we got brave and slipped down into empty 4000 ruble seats. No one said a word and we had an amazing view for the third and fourth act. We were sitting behind a group of American tourists and hearing voices from home made me homesick. I can’t even begin to describe how beautiful the ballet was. This is the third ballet I have seen in Russia and each has been better than the last.

The next day we went on a true Russian adventure. We were invited to Natalia’s dacha, or country house, for the weekend. We rode the train to 69 kilometers (the dacha village has no name) and had an amazing two days in the country. It rained the second day and we had no power for a few hours because of the wind but I didn’t care. I was so glad to get out of the city. And Kristina had a great time. She helped Natalia with her flowers which left Kristina muddy up to her knees, hung out in the hammock and played outside. Exactly what she needed. Apartment living is just not for either of us.

Yesterday, we picked up the final court judgment. We’re much closer to finalizing this process and heading home. Sadly, I found out that we won’t be able to go to Volosovo this week and take care of the paperwork to get Kristina’s passport started as planned. That means we have to wait until Monday to do that and then we can’t apply for Kristina’s passport until Tuesday. I shouldn’t be surprised. This whole process has been one delay after another since we started. But previously, I was waiting in the comfort of my homeland. Now I’m waiting here. I’m trying to fight the homesickness. Some days are better than others. I hope I don’t run out of books.

Well, until later, here are a few more pictures. Oddly, I have not taken as many pictures as I thought I would. I wanted to take pictures of the train station, the metro, the 69 kilometer sign, but Russians frown on you taking pictures of things like that—a flashback to the Soviet days I guess. And, we are doing our best to try to blend in and a camera is like a neon sign flashing “Tourist”. But never fear, as a descendent of Twila Fehlman, I have plenty of pictures of this trip.

Take care all. We miss you and we love you. We’re doing well.





A view of the Russian forest at 69 Km north of St. Petersburg.



Kristina in the hammock.



Natalia's Dacha.



Kristina showing an American smile, not the somber Russian face usually shown in photos.

6 comments:

Jodi Leishman said...

It's great to hear an update. You are amazing!! I'm sure its so difficult being in another country away from your family. Enjoy the beauty of the new culture and we'll hope for a speedier process. Is Kristina excited to come to the USA?

Jan said...

I am so glad that you have started a blog. We are excited that you are in Russia and will be bringing Kristina home soon. We love seeing pictures. I can't believe Christian is 15. Wow!

Ker said...

SHe is beautiful Blythe- She will fit right in! I know it is hard, but you can do it sista! Love ya!

Michelle Nist said...

I know what you mean about the photographs. I had to laugh, you must blend in better with an older child - but we screamed "tourist" because we were out in the wintertime with babies in slings, so the game was already up for us! :)

Hang in there!! She is just beautiful and soon you will be home and in the arms of the rest of your loved ones!

Tiffany Cheney said...

Thinking of you Blythe and hope you both get home soon and safely! :) Best of luck!

Jody said...

Blythe!

I am so excited for you. Your daughter is beautiful. I think it is wonderful what you guys are doing. I cannot wait to hear all your stories in person. Come home soon.

Jody