Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Nice, France

Our last stop on this cruise was Nice, France. Here is another place I wouldn't mind having a vacation home in. We were torn on what to do in this port. Monte Carlo was just a bus ride away and there was a lot to see in Nice as well. However, we decided to visit a medieval village called Eze instead.


This village is built on the top of a hill. It's a pretty steep climb to the top. So of course, before climbing, one must have something for strength. Baguettes, especially hot ones, are so much better in France than anywhere else.


Eze is tiny with little steep twisting streets. Villages such as this were not for the feeble. Heaven help the handicapped or the elderly in the medieval days.


We discovered that there was a hotel in this tiny village. We peeked inside of one of the rooms. Very nice. And when we checked out the prices, we found that if you want to visit from January to March, it is actually very reasonable. It would be fun to come back and spend a night in this place. If you ever come, know that there is a bell boy to bring your luggage up the hill. Just make sure you are generous with your tip.

After Eze, we toyed with the idea of taking a bus to Monte Carlo but decided to head back into Nice. We were short on time so we decided to just go and see what we could see in about an hour. We made it to the shore and touched the Mediterranean.


We had a teenage boy in our group so we ventured ahead to make sure the beach was safe for teenage viewing. This beach was pretty mild. Other than a naked two year old, not much to see much to the relief of the teenager's mother.

Near the beach was an open air market. It was fun to just wander. Flowers everywhere. Nice is known for its flowers. And there were vegetables, spices, and pastries. We bought some of these and they were yummy.



I can't tell you much more about Nice because after wandering the market, we had to catch a bus back to the port to get on the cruise ship. Of all the ports, this was the port I felt that we saw the least in.

And thus our cruise ended. The morning after Nice, we docked back in Barcelona and then flew home. It was an amazing once in a life time trip and I am so glad we were able to go. But now back to real life, work, laundry, etc. It's good to be home to the kids but oh, I don't look forward to worrying about what to eat each night. Wish my home had a cruise ship dining room and buffet where we could all go whenever we were hungry.

3 comments:

Moffitt said...

Wow, sounds like a fantastic tour! Thanks for posting all the photos and including the interesting commentary. Your descriptions of the trip reminded me of our feelings after cruising the Baltic Sea (the only cruise I've ever been on). We felt like we had major regrets in every port since we hardly had time to scratch the surface (especially St Petersburg). I think the Europeans have it right when they pick one place and spend two weeks there, relaxing and seeing everything. The typical American vacationing style of rushing around seeing as many places as possible but not stopping to enjoy the culture, food, etc., confused our German neighbors to no end!

Keep posting photos of other places. We love seeing them. Tell the kids hi for us.

Lit said...

Your entries are great. Now I have a better understanding of what I was seeing. I also know what those long thin loaves of bread are called. I really enjoyed reading what you wrote. You make it interesting and it is nice to have a summary of what we did in our whirlwind tour. We definitely need to do something like this again some day.

Jodi Leishman said...

WOW - what an amazing trip. I can't wait to chat about it in person. So many beautiful cities. I think when the kids are grown I want to move to Europe for a year and tour.