Tuesday, November 4, 2008

School Yard Casualty


It's been a busy day. When I awoke this morning, the most significant part of my day was going to be voting. Well, Sidney woke up sick. Not a big deal--she's pretty low maintenance when she is sick. But not long after arriving home from voting, I got a phone call that Spencer was in the school nurse's office. He appeared to have sprained his ankle and the nurse thought I should get it xrayed.

How did this happen? Spencer was playing Steal the Flag and as he lunged for the flag, he fell, twisted his ankle and then was tackled by his buddies who conveniently fell on the ankle. I have to admit, I thought maybe he was overreacting. But when the nurse moved him to my car in a wheelchair, I decided maybe I should take him to the doctor. And when the doctor touched his foot and ankle and I could see a true grimace of pain on his face, I repented of doubting him. And when we went for xrays on crutches at the doctor's orders, I was pretty sure we were facing not a sprain but a broken ankle.

Happy news--no broken ankle/foot. But Spencer is on orders to keep weight off his foot and wear a splint for the next two or three days. Is he milking the injury? A little. He convinced Sidney to sleep on the floor in his bedroom tonight in case he needs help in the night to get a drink or needs her to hand him his crutches. She has acted as his personal nurse most of the day in spite of feeling a bit under the weather herself. I'm sure there will be some excitement at school tomorrow when Spencer comes on crutches. But don't we all need some extra attention once in a while? Especially when we are the middle child. And especially when you have a major sprain. So if you would like, send him your condolences. I'm sure it will speed his recovery and let him know he's loved.

No comments: